Help make secular people visible during the Secular week of action (April 29 to May 8 2022) by volunteering at the Houston Food Bank.
Please register at the following link:
The Houston Food Bank utilizes volunteers six days a week at our main warehouse. Whether you come out as an individual or part of a group, we are certain you will have an enjoyable, positive experience.
- 2/15/2022 UPDATE: Effective February15, 2022, the Houston Food Bank will no longer require volunteers, clients and visitors to wear a face-covering while in the building, regardless of vaccine status. Temperature checks will remain in effect for everyone upon entry.
- Volunteers MUST be at least 6 years old and supervised by parent or guardian throughout the shift.
- All volunteers under the age of 18 also need a completed Youth Volunteer Consent Form signed by a parent or guardian. A copy of this form can be downloaded by clicking the RESOURCES tab on your Volunteer Profile page.
Varies with the makeup volunteers for shift. Most of the projects at the warehouse involve inspection, sorting, and repackaging of donated food items for community distribution.
535 Portwall St.
Houston, TX. 77029
From Downtown: Take IH-10 east and exit Gellhorn St. (exit #774). Make a U-turn at Gellhorn, stay on feeder and turn right on Portwall St.Parking Information
If space permits it, you may park in the front parking lot, but in the event of a large volunteer turnout, you may be directed to our overflow lot located behind the building.Attire Information
2/15/2022 UPDATE: Effective February15, 2022, the Houston Food Bank will no longer require volunteers, clients and visitors to wear a face-covering while in the building, regardless of vaccine status. Temperature checks will remain in effect for everyone upon entry.
CLOSED-TOE SHOES REQUIRED - casual dress, long pants (preferred), t-shirt with sleeves. Bring work gloves if desired.
We count on your generous donation of time; however, if you are unable to make it, please log in to your Volunteer Profile to cancel your registration or contact a Houston Food Bank Volunteer Scheduling Team member at [email protected] for additional assistance.
- Media Reminders: If you are planning to invite or share your volunteer experience with broadcast/print media, or film outside of volunteer area, or wish to have a Food Bank spokesperson available for interviews please inform the Director of Marketing and Communications, Adele Brady, 713-547-8674 or [email protected], at least 2 weeks prior to your volunteer session so we can assist if needed. As always, we love for our volunteer groups to document, photograph and share on social media their Houston Food Bank volunteer experience, feel free to tag us. Thank you for your support.
- For your safety, personal belongings are not allowed in project areas: Due to limited locker space, we ask that you lock your purse, jackets, backpacks and any other valuables in your vehicle before checking-in.
- Special accommodations needed? Just let us know before your volunteer shift so we can plan accordingly.
- REMEMBER to wear closed-toe shoes so your feet are protected and dress in layers so you will be comfortable throughout your shift.
- If you are scheduled for the KITCHEN, please wear LONG PANTS - NO SHORTS OR JEWELRY ALLOWED.